Saturday, April 9, 2011

Defending the Cook

Why is being a full-time mom something I feel I have to defend?  When working moms ask me what I do, I find myself trying to justify my paycheck-less existence.  I’ll say things like, “well, I’m working part time for my husband’s business” (which is true, but I still don’t get a paycheck); or “I’ve been looking for meaningful work I can do from home….”
The reality is that my life would seem rather boring to many, but I like keeping myself busy with those tasks that matter most to the harmonious operation of my family and household.  I know that’s moderately nauseating to some, and the woman’s movement would slap me with my spatula and tie me up with the cord to my Dyson.  But it’s the truth.  It’s what my mother did, and we all turned out okay.
Have I wasted my legal education (I’m actually a recovering lawyer)?  No because, what I don’t say to those working moms who ask me what I do and seemingly condescend to me is: “I may not get a paycheck, bitch, but I’m sure as hell smarter than you.”
And, I’m a much better cook. 
Here’s one of my clever creations.  It’s simple and fast, even a working mom can do this one:

Teriyaki Pork Chops – slow cooker/crock pot
3 lbs boneless pork chops
1 cup packed brown sugar (or enough to coat the chops)
1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
½ tsp pepper
2 tbls cornstarch
3 tbls cold water

  1.  Using your hands, coat each pork chop with brown sugar on both sides and place in a slow cooker/crock pot
  2. Pour apple juice and soy sauce over the chops
  3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
  4. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low
  5. Remove the chops and turn the crock pot to high
  6. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until smooth
  7. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the juices in the crockpot
  8. Cover the crock pot and cook about 15 minutes or until the juices thicken into a nice sauce
  9. Serve the chops with the sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment